Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Becoming Reality

I've dreamed for many years of having a greenhouse.  In our brutal winter climate, it is doubtful that we can grow things year-round in a greenhouse unless it is heated.  I don't want to break the bank with the electricity bill, so we opted for a greenhouse/garden shed combination that will include some insulation and some heavy-duty polycarbonate glazing...

Harvesting year-round will likely still be a dream, but extending the seasons will shortly become a reality!

My hope was to have a shed that will look pleasing as well as be functional.  Good thing I have such a talented husband and son!  They are building this thing from scratch...Amazing!!

Thanks to Grandpa for lending a hand with concrete.

Taking shape...



Part of my justification for this project was so Evan could learn all this stuff from his dad.  It's so nice to have real reasons, right?  After all, we know that a few gallons of garden produce over the years will NOT pay for this structure...

Part of the payment for this indulgence will be the room full of warm sunshine in February...  I can't wait to experience that! Oh... the smell of dirt in that sun-filled room as well...

And Evan has had some excellent experience with building - with a very good teacher.

This picture was taken from the inside looking out.  The glazing is triple wall, so not perfectly clear, but warmer and stronger than a thinner variety.

It will be a learning experience for me to garden in this new environment.  I can't wait to give it a try!



























2 comments:

  1. That is quite exciting! Well done Rob and Evan! You are going to love that, Aleta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting!! You are going to enjoy that for years - and it is even more special because Rob and Evan built it!! Rob and Evan ... it's fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete